|
|
|
The Latest: Johnson warns of damage to political parties
Court News |
2019/09/04 15:24
|
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has warned of “lasting and catastrophic damage” to Britain’s political parties if the result of the Brexit referendum is not honored.
He told Sky News Friday that people protesting his decision to suspend Parliament during part of the run-up to the Oct. 31 Brexit deadline must realize that “the worst thing for democracy” would be to fail to make Brexit a reality.
He also says the protests and legal challenges to his policy are making it harder for Britain to forge a new deal with European Union leaders because they may believe Parliament can stop Brexit.
A court hearing in Scotland on a legal challenge seeking to block the British government’s plan to suspend Parliament has been moved up and will be heard on Tuesday.
The Court of Session hearing in Edinburgh had originally been set for Sept. 6.
Judge Raymond Doherty on Friday refused to grant a request to immediately halt Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s plan to suspend Parliament for several weeks but agreed that a “substantive” hearing would be held.
The government’s plan would shorten the time political opponents in Parliament would have in their bid to prevent Britain from leaving the European Union without a deal on Oct. 31 if no agreement with the EU is reached by then. |
|
|
|
|
|
‘Coward’: Epstein accusers pour out their anger in court
Court News |
2019/08/28 09:41
|
One by one, 16 women who say they were sexually abused by Jeffrey Epstein poured out their anger Tuesday, lashing out at him as a coward and a manipulator, after a judge gave them the day in court they were denied when he killed himself behind bars.
“The fact I will never have a chance to face my predator in court eats away at my soul,” said Jennifer Araoz, who has accused Epstein of raping her in his New York mansion when she was a 15-year-old aspiring actress.
“Even in death, Epstein is trying to hurt me. I had hoped to at last get an apology, but this evil man had no remorse or caring for what he did to anyone,” she said.
The hearing was convened by U.S. District Judge Richard M. Berman, who presided over the case after federal prosecutors had Epstein arrested last month.
The question before the judge was whether to throw out the indictment because of the defendant’s death, a usually pro forma step undertaken without a hearing. But the judge offered Epstein’s accusers an extraordinary opportunity to speak in court.
In addition to the women who spoke — some publicly for the first time — statements from several others were read in court by their lawyers.
They vented their fury over Epstein’s alleged crimes and his suicide in his jail cell Aug. 10 while awaiting trial on sex-trafficking charges involving dozens of teenage girls. Repeatedly, the women described themselves as survivors and said they hoped coming forward would help others. |
|
|
|
|
|
State Supreme Court offers new learning program for schools
Court News |
2019/08/23 09:42
|
Ohio's Supreme Court is offering a new learning program that allows high school students to see how the court operates without leaving their classrooms.
The court's Civic Education Section recently unveiled "Under Advisement: Ohio Supreme Court Cases on Demand." A court release says the program provides teachers with lesson plans developed specifically for a civil case and a criminal case already argued to the court. Teachers lead students through an in-depth study of the already-decided cases, with students reading the case facts and watching oral arguments on video.
The program is intended to bolster students' understanding of Ohio's court system.
The lesson plans are free and designed to align with Ohio's Learning Standards for the High School American Government Curriculum.
|
|
|
|
|
|
California high court eases secrecy limits on police records
Court News |
2019/08/21 09:43
|
California's Supreme Court is expanding 40-year-old rules for telling suspects when they've been arrested by a bad cop.
The justices ruled unanimously Monday that police agencies' obligation to make sure suspects get a fair trial outweighs the privacy rights of officers who have a history of bad behavior.
They rejected a lower court ruling that blocked the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department from giving prosecutors the names of deputies who previously took bribes, tampered with evidence, lied, or used excessive force.
Prosecutors are required to share that background with defendants, who can then use it to argue that they were framed or otherwise harmed by rogue officers.
The justices also noted that a new law requiring more public disclosure of police misconduct means some police records are no longer confidential. |
|
|
|
|