|
|
|
Former FIFA official Makudi at court for ban appeal hearing
Court News |
2018/10/11 11:00
|
Former FIFA executive committee member Worawi Makudi is at the Court of Arbitration for Sport challenging his ban for forgery ahead of a Thailand soccer federation election.
Makudi said outside the court on Thursday he was "very confident. I didn't do anything wrong."
The former Thai federation president appealed against a 3 1/2-year ban by FIFA that expires in April 2020. He was also fined 10,000 Swiss francs ($10,100).
FIFA's ethics committee found him guilty of forgery, falsifying documents, and not cooperating with investigators. Makudi was alleged to have altered federation statutes before his 2013 re-election campaign.
He was convicted in a Bangkok criminal court, though said on Thursday that case was resolved in his favor.
"You know very clearly that the court in Thailand already decided I won the case, OK?" he said.
Makudi was a long-time ally of Qatar's Mohamed bin Hammam when sitting on FIFA's ruling committee for 18 years until 2015. He was voted out by Asian federations.
|
|
|
|
|
|
Manhattan DA drops part of Weinstein case
Legal News |
2018/10/10 10:57
|
Manhattan’s district attorney dropped part of the criminal sexual assault case against Harvey Weinstein on Thursday after evidence emerged that cast doubt on the account one of his three accusers provided to the grand jury.
The development was announced in court Thursday with Weinstein looking on.
The tossed charge involves allegations made by one of the three accusers in the case, Lucia Evans, who was among the first women to publicly accuse Weinstein of sexual assault.
In an expose published in The New Yorker one year ago Wednesday, Evans accused Weinstein of forcing her to perform oral sex when they met alone in his office in 2004 to discuss her fledgling acting career. At the time, Evans was a 21-year-old college student.
Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon told the judge that prosecutors wouldn’t oppose dismissal of the count in the case involving Evans. She insisted the rest of the case, involving two other accusers, was strong.
“In short, your honor, we are moving full steam ahead,” she said.
Weinstein’s lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, told the judge he believed Evans had lied both to the grand jury and to The New Yorker about her encounter with Weinstein. He also said he believed a police detective had corruptly attempted to influence the case by keeping a witness from testifying about her misstatements. |
|
|
|
|
|
Disbarred lawyer, 74, suspected of gunning down South Carolina cop: police
Court News |
2018/10/09 11:09
|
Police investigating the shooting that killed a law enforcement officer and wounded several others in South Carolina have identified the suspected gunman as 74-year-old Frederick Hopkins -- a disbarred lawyer who, according to reports, boasted on social media about being a competitive marksman.
Tributes to the fallen officer, Terrence Carraway, continued to pour in Thursday as the Florence County Sheriff’s Office identified the suspect and told Fox Carolina they initially were drawn to the home in Florence to serve a warrant for a 27-year-old accused of sexually assaulting a minor.
Hopkins, meanwhile, is currently hospitalized with a head injury and police have not yet been able to speak to him, according to WIS News 10. The minor, police say, was a foster child inside the home.
A court order showed that in 1984, the state Supreme Court allowed Hopkins to pay back the debt over time and surrender his license rather than complete a six-month jail term. But then the court said Hopkins was ordered to jail and spent more than two weeks there after failing to return the money -- before it allowed his wife, fellow attorney Cheryl Turner Hopkins, to be held jointly liable for paying it back.
Hopkins also is a military veteran who had been receiving payments after being wounded in the Vietnam War, the Associated Press reported, citing court records in a divorce case involving him and his former wife. |
|
|
|
|
|
Court expert says federal opioid lawsuit should move forward
Law Firm News |
2018/10/08 11:09
|
A court-appointed expert in a case with national implications for addressing the opioid epidemic is recommending that a pivotal lawsuit move forward.
Drug makers, distributors and pharmacies had argued that a lawsuit filed by Summit County, Ohio, should be dismissed. The case is among more than 1,000 cases filed by local and state governments against the industry in federal courts.
They have been consolidated under U.S. District Judge Dan Polster in Cleveland. He is pushing the companies and governments to reach a settlement, but also has scheduled trials for the case from Summit County and some other places for next year.
They would serve as test cases for rulings in other lawsuits. Polster has given the parties two weeks to object to a special master's report issued Friday. |
|
|
|
|